The Research Computing Center conducts workshops on a variety of topics relevant to research computing. Past workshop topics have included introductory and advanced seminars on programming languages; data management tools and best practices; and sessions focused on using Midway and other RCC resources. Most workshops are held in RCC's Data Visualization Lab in the Kathleen A. Zar Room in the Crerar Library and are generally structured as a brief lecture followed by a hands-on session.
In addition to workshops lead by RCC staff, the Research Computing Center routinely invites industry experts and hardware and software vendors to teach courses focused on specific systems.
A note about experience levels
RCC communicates the expertise needed to get the most out of a workshop by labeling it with an experience level. An Introductory level workshop presupposes little or no familiarity with the topic at hand. An Intermediate level workshop requires some degree of familiarity with the methods being used. An Advanced level workshop is for users who are already fluent with the methods and tools involved.
Each workshop's description at training.uchicago.edu includes the workshop's experience level. If you are unsure whether a given workshop will be taught at too advanced or too basic a level for you, feel free to contact the instructor directly.
Current workshops, 2016-2017 academic year
Other workshops offered in past years
- 3D Visualization Day: Amira and Avizo
- Advanced Tutorial on Stata
- Big-Data movement made easy: An Introduction to Globus-Online (CI - RCC)
- Computational Tools for Bio/Chemists
- Computational Quantum Chemistry at the RCC
- COMSOL 5.0 & Application Builder Workshop
- Data Visualization Strategies and Digital Cartography (D3)
- Debugging and Optimization on Midway with Allinea's DDT Parallel Debugger
- GPU Computing with NVIDIA
- GPU-CUDA Programming
- Image Analysis in Python
- Intel Software for High-Performance Parallel Applications
- Intel Software Tools: Compilers, Libraries, and Parallelism
- Introduction to Data Visualization
- Introduction to GPU Computing with CUDA
- Introduction to Stata
- Introduction to Unix at the Research Computing Center
- MPI + OpenMP: A Hybrid Scheme of Parallel Programming and Computing
- Practical Introduction to Midway
- Programming with SWIFT Scripts
- Project Management Tools at RCC
- Research Data Management Resources at UChicago
- Running and Optimizing Your Code on Midway
- Speed Up Your Python
- Stata: Data Management, Analysis, and Graphic Fundamentals
- VSCSE Data Intensive Summer School
Archived Workshop Materials
Check the RCC calendar for listings of other RCC events.